Captain’s Log 4,449
Speaking of my favorite book in the entire world….this is what others have thought of it through time.
The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck
- Burned by the East St. Louis, IL Public Library (1939) and barred from the Buffalo, NY Public Library (1939) on the grounds that “vulgar words” were used. Banned in Kansas City, MO (1939).
- Banned in Kern County CA, the scene of Steinbeck’s novel (1939).
- Banned in Ireland (1953).
- On Feb. 21, 1973, eleven Turkish book publishers went on trial before an Istanbul martial law tribunal on charges of publishing, possessing and selling books in violation of an order of the Istanbul martial law command. They faced possible sentences of between one month’s and six months’ imprisonment “for spreading propaganda unfavorable to the state” and the confiscation of their books. Eight booksellers were also on trial with the publishers on the same charge involving The Grapes of Wrath.
- Banned in Kanawha, IA High School classes (1980).
- Challenged in Vernon Verona Sherill, NY School District (1980).
- Challenged as required reading for Richford, VT (1981) High School English students due to the book’s language and portrayal of a former minister who recounts how he took advantage of a young woman.
- Banned in Morris, Manitoba, Canada (1982).
- Removed from two Anniston, Ala. high school libraries (1982), but later reinstated on a restrictive basis.
- Challenged at the Cummings High School in Burlington, NC (1986) as an optional reading assignment because the “book is full of filth. My son is being raised in a Christian home and this book takes the Lord’s name in vain and has all kinds of profanity in it.” Although the parent spoke to the press, a formal complaint with the school demanding the book’s removal was not filed.
- Challenged at the Moore County school system in Carthage, NC (1986) because the book contains the phase “God damn.”
- Challenged in the Greenville, SC schools (1991) because the book uses the name of God and Jesus in a “vain and profane manner along with inappropriate sexual references.”
- Challenged in the Union City, TN High School classes (1993).
There you have it. People all over the map up in arms over a book that simply told the truth.
Michelle Obama told the truth the other night. Big time. I was never more proud to be a Democrat. What a classy lady who truly “gets” what the political shit is all about. Love her. Love her kids. Love her husband. They truly understand the “us” in USA. That means all of us. Not just the rich us.
When’s my next day off? Not that I’m counting or anything.